Friday, March 12, 2010

Happiness!


I've been tagged by my friend, Lindsey! This is a first for me, since I usually just gush about my baby boy. Here's what I am supposed do: (a) Name some things that make me happy and (b) ask a few of you to do the same. So, here goes - things that make me happy!

1. MY BOYS! First of all, I think it's really sweet to be able to say "my boys". There's not anyone in the world I would rather spend time with. Mark and Nash are the light of my life! I love their matching big brown eyes and they both have this uncanny ability to get out of trouble by making me laugh.
2. THINGS THAT SMELL GOOD. Anyone who knows me well, knows my proclivity for gagging at unpleasant smells. To the other extreme - I REALLY enjoy and seek out things that smell nice! In fact, my sister often laughs at me for sniffing random stuff. Some of my favorites are: books, flowers, candles, cypress tree balls, rain, clean hair, coffee, fabric softener, and my boys have a nice smell too. That kinda sounds strange, I know, but I don't go around sniffing strangers or anything!
3. THE GREAT OUTDOORS/WATER. I love being outside, especially if there's water close by! Laying on the beach, "toobing'' on the Guadalupe, riding the 4-wheeler through the creeks on my dad's ranch, swimming - anywhere, camping, deep sea fishing, hiking, drinking coffee on the dock at my brother's Caddo Lake lake house, going to the park with Nash, walking on the Trinity Trail - I could go on and on! My family vacations growing up were camping at various state and national parks across the US and I guess that's where this love of the God's creation originated.
4. ALONE TIME. The older I get, the more I appreciate some good ole' quiet introspection. I'm not a total introvert or anything, but I really NEED time to myself to "Be still and know". It keeps me centered. It keeps me from getting all weird and self-conscious when I am around other people. It brings me peace.
5. GIRLFRIENDS (SISTERS INCLUDED). See - not introverted! Growing up, I was always thought of as a tomboy (see #3), but I have say, I love my girls! There's just nothing like being with other women who get me. Not to mention, we laugh alot! I like doing the girly stuff with them - cooking, chick flicks, art shows, shopping, eating at tea rooms, did I mention laughing?! Shout out to my chicas (you know who you are)!
6. SINGING. It is my favorite expression of worship. It's not really a choice - I HAVE to do it. I'm not even talking just about up in front of people at church (although that's part of it). I love singing in my car, singing lullabies to Nash, singing "I'm so glad no one else is here to see how kooky we are" silly made-up songs with Mark. I appreciate listening to good singing too - it really moves me and speaks to my heart the way nothing else does.
7. MEXICAN FOOD (AND BEVERAGES). I know - so cliche'! But, really, I just had a homemade chicken quesadilla for lunch and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Fajitas, margaritas, queso, rice and beans, Hatch green chiles, sangria, fresh salsa, tortillas, guacamole - Mmmmmm!
8. CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS. People often ask me if my job is depressing or sad. The answer: sometimes sad, but never depressing. Mostly - inspiring! These kids remind me to focus on what we do have, not on what we don't have. That alone will change your life, folks!
9. BOOKS. I've already mentioned I love the way they smell. That is, unless it is one of those "I think this just came from the bottom of the dumpster in a chain-smoker's bathroom" jobs that you sometimes run across at the library. (On a side note: I do sniff test a book before I borrow it from the library, but I digress) I love reading!!! Just about anything, from teeny bopper stuff like Harry Potter and Twilight, to classics like Dante' and Shakespeare and anything in between. Love it all!
10. VACATIONS WITH THE NELSONS. 'Nuff said!
OK - so that's it for me! What about you: Jill, Amy, Macy, Katie, and Carrie????

2 comments: